Measuring equipment approval in the Eurasian Economic Zone

Measuring instruments exported to the former Soviet Union require very specific certifications and approvals. Thanks to WIKA’s global presence, WIKA USA has the required approvals for all WIKA products to support projects in Ukraine and the 10 Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) countries, which includes Russia and Kazakhstan. Our expert staff can help you ensure that you have the necessary documents in place to import and operate the measuring instruments without any issues.

To fully understand the certification process for measuring instruments destined for Russia, other CIS countries, and Ukraine, it is important to know some of the history. 

Harmonization of the Technical Standards

Prior to Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan’s decision in 2010 to form a common customs union with uniform technical standards, these countries had their own – and sometimes different and complex – technical standards that manufacturers had to comply with. This made the trade of goods between these countries more difficult. Exporters also had a difficult time with different requirements and approvals for the same product.

In 2010, these three countries laid the foundation for a unified system known as Eurasian Conformity (EAC). The EAC certificate replaces the former import certificates of GOST-R (Russia), GOST-K (Kazakhstan), and BelST (Belarus).

The new Technical Regulations of Customs Union(TRCU) can be compared to the existing European guidelines such as the Pressure Gauge Directive (PED) and the Directive for Explosion Proof Areas (Ex), and apply to all countries within the Customs Union. However, the biggest difference to Europe is that manufacturers can self-declare CE (Conformité Européenne, or European Conformity), while EAC certificates can be issued only by authorized testing facilities.

This requirement applies to all measuring devices exported to Russia, the 9 other CIS countries, and Ukraine, be it as a standalone device or installed in a machine. In addition to the EAC certificate, all measuring instruments must be marked with the EAC logo.

Besides the EAC certificates, other documents – such as the technical passport, metrological certificate (pattern approval), and a legal calibration certificate – might be required when exporting and operating any measuring devices in these countries.

Following is a list of the 11 countries, their membership statuses, and the required documents/approvals:

CountryCommonwealth of Independent States (CIS)Eurasian
Economic Union (EAEU)
EAC CertificateMetrological Certificate**Technical Passport

* Ukraine became an associate CIS member in 1994 but informally withdrew participation in 2014 after Russia annexed Crimea. Ukraine officially ended its CIS membership in May 2018.

** In addition to a metrology certificate, some countries require a Legal Calibration Certificate (LCC), also referred to as a First Calibration Certificate.

Even though EAC certificates are not a requirement in non-EAC countries, it is not wrong to have that approval, either. As a general practice, WIKA marks every product requiring a technical passport with EAC.

If a Legal Calibration Certificate (LCC) is required, a measuring instrument or a machine cannot be commissioned and/or operated without this document. In most cases, the LCC can be issued only within the final destination country. So, in the example of Russia, the LCC must be issued within that country.

WIKA, however, has a process in place that allows us to provide our customers with the LLC at the point of purchase. Since this very complex process involves local Russian authorities, the lead time will increase by approximately 4 to 6 weeks. What this process means for WIKA’s customers is that they do not have to bother with local agencies to obtain the LCC, which can be very costly, time consuming, and could delay a project so much that penalties are incurred.  

Metrological Certificates (Pattern Approval) for Measuring Instruments

In addition to the EAC certificate when exporting measuring instruments to CIS countries and Ukraine, a metrological certificate is required. Unlike the EAC certificate, which is valid for all countries within the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU), the metrological certificate must be applied for separately for each country.

When issuing the metrological certificate, the country’s notifying body confirms that the certified measuring instrument complies with the minimum requirements of the technical regulations; the instrument’s allowable measuring tolerance is also checked. The test equipment used in these tests can be traced back to the national standard. After the product is certified, it is entered into the national register of measuring equipment.

Upon receipt of the certification, the manufacturer is allowed to mark the product with the approval logo of that country’s testing institute (see image above). Any measuring instrument used within a state-observed operation requires an approval logo.

Excellent Opportunities for EPC Companies

Industrial and commercial developments in Russia, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and othercountries in the region create excellent opportunities for EPC (Engineering, Procurement and Construction) contracts. However, complying with the product certifications needed for each country can be tricky as regulations for measurement instruments are different for each governing body.

Take WIKA’s Model PG23LT, a liquid-filled pressure gauge for extremely low temperatures, as an example. (This stainless steel gauge is ideal for use in pipelines, pumping stations, and other oil & gas and petrochemical applications in CIS countries and Ukraine.) To use the PG23LT in Russia, it is necessary to have EAC certification and a technical passport. In addition, you would need:

  • A GOST / ROSSTANDARD metrology certificate
  • An LLC issued within Russia

Each measuring instrument must be marked with the EAC and metrology logos. Furthermore, all certifications, datasheets, and operating instructions must be in Russian, the official language of all CIS countries.

If you were to use the same pressure gauge in Kazakhstan, the same EAC certification and technical passport are needed. However, customers must have two other requirements:

  • A KazinMetr metrology certificate, which includes the First Calibration certification
  • A blue First Calibration sticker

Belarus, on the other hand, requires an LLC issued by a third party within that country.

LLCs in Ukraine and Uzbekistan are covered by the UkrSEPRO and Uzstandard Metrology certificates, respectively, and there is no need for a sticker. These two countries do not ask for an EAC certification, but the technical passport is a requirement.

With such diverse demands, the best way to ensure that your products have the certifications they need is to partner with an instrumentation manufacturer with experience and representation in Eurasia.

Global Presence, Local Representation

WIKA’s vast network includes fully owned subsidiaries in Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Ukraine. These partners are up to date regarding all documents necessary in each case, along with the steps needed to obtain them. WIKA’s personnel can help you navigate the processes and work with local authorities to comply with requirements, including acquiring LLC certificates for Russia. Our global presence means we are able to provide these certificates much more quickly than other manufacturers.

WIKA subsidiaries not only help with certifications, but also provide technical support and a variety of requirements at the location. Technical services cover stainless steel gauge, diaphragm seal assembly, calibration, rework and repair, and even some local manufacturing. WIKA subsidiaries make sure customers working in CIS countries and Ukraine are well served and informed.

Machines, skids, and plants cannot operate in CIS countries and Ukraine if the measuring instruments in use do not have the proper certifications. Navigating different and changing requirements can be daunting. WIKA’s local subsidiaries ensure you have exactly what you need, where you need it, and when you need it.

Leave a Reply